Saturday, July 07, 2007

JUST CRAZY 'BOUT..........


CHICKENS!
I've always wanted a little "farmette". I think as a product of divorce in the 50's, my idea of a happy family came from TV. There was "Lassie", "Leave It To Beaver", "Ozzie & Harriet", and "Father Knows Best". Granted, June Lockhart was the only farmers wife in the bunch, but you get the idea. When we were finally able to build our "house on the prairie', we had just 1 1/2 acres. Not enough to have cows, goats, sheep, or horses. But...just enough room for chickens.
So last year Farmboy built me a hen house, and we acquired 9 hens and a rooster. Since then I have been drawn to "chicken stuff".
Take a look-see...

Little chicken planter found this week at Trufant Flea Mkt for $2.00.
I thought it a perfect container for my CSA basil. Next to it is my grandsons Fisher price chicken, found in his "farm".

Lonely flour canister, found last year at a tag sale.
You can hardly see the top, which is a baby chick!

Rooster lamp(which, amazingly enough, looks just like our own "Albie Darn, I'm a Rooster".
Found in the burbs of Chicago at the Farmers Mkt just a 2 minute walk from Cityfarmer's farm.





Live...from Cyn's farmette, Albie, LadyHawk, and one of the Ruby's.


The fruit of the girls labor...some kind of eggy thing I whipped up with onions, mushrooms, kale, Gruyere cheese and 18 eggs.

If you take the stems off kale, drop the leaves in boiling water for a few minutes, then drain and squeeze, you will have tender greens with no bitterness. Chop up and use as you would spinach.
Pin It!

11 comments:

kansasrose said...

I love your cute chicken finds and the fruits of your "girls from the coop" labor! Those eggs look so good!

Homemaker's Heart said...

Your chickens add a nice flair. What a dream to see your long time wishes come true. Thanks for your comment, God's peace to you Cyn. PS Hubby says your welcome, glad to have served.

Katie Zeller said...

Everybody told us, when we moved to this current spread (9 acres), that we should keep chickens. My answer was great for the eggs but I didn't want to deal with the killing part when they got older. Then I was told not to worry, the fox would take care of that part... I don't have chickens.
My neighbor does though, they get out once and awhile, so it's close..
The ceramic kind I could handle!

Aunt Jenny said...

arnt'chickens great? I just can't imagine life without at least a few!
That eggy thing looks soo good!!!!!! YUM! Eggs have sounded good all day. I am thinking I will make ham and cheese omelettes for supper tonight.

savvycityfarmer said...

wish we could go junking together again...having withdrawal from ya!

Lovella ♥ said...

I just recently found a surface saver with a chicken on it. I bought it. I try not to go too crazy with the chicken motif, but once in a while i just gotta.

The egg recipe looks scrumptious. I'll try this one for sure.

Anonymous said...

Funny story about chicken items in the house. My mom had this wooden rooster shapped napkin holder on the kitchen counter all during my childhood. She never used it for napkins though. Instead, it was her "filing cabinet". Any important papers when in it, including receipts, recipe clips, phone messages, etc. To this day, I still will visit and she'll say something like this "I have this recipe I've been meaning to try when you were home...go look in the chicken to see if you can find it." The fun fo memories! :) Can't wait to hear more about your (real) chickens.

Rachel said...

I love all the chicken/rooster finds! I am tempted when I see those things but due to lack of space I pass them by. They are so pretty though!

If I had the room I would have me some real live chickens too!!

Mindy said...

Love the chicken theme you have going! I have missed you!!! Blessings to you my friend...

The Weathered Pane said...

your egg and kale looks scrumpuous. I'll have to try it sometime. I mostly put kale in soups or wilted salad.

Anonymous said...

waving hello to you! I loooove those birds too:) they are always good for eggs and a laugh;) enjoy the days of summa!
& p.s. some good things are happening as far as my katie:) I'll stop in and share more here when I know more! (must be those prayers of yours)!
xo