Sunday, May 22, 2011

Homemade Lara Bars

Lara Balls

I've been messin' around with a lot of different recipes this winter, knowing I was responsible for teaching a class at our CSA this year.
For the most part my experiments have been on fermenting, dehydrating and preserving.
But on occasion i sneak in something I want to try just for the fun of it!

My friend Lydia posted about these recently, and since they were on my "bucket list" of recipes I wanted to try, I thought her recipe would be the perfect springboard for what I wanted to do.
And after seeing the price of these in the stores (somewhere near $2 each), I knew I could do better.
Basically all a LaraBar consists of is dried fruit and nuts.
Now comes the fun part!
I used what I had on hand and stuck with the ratios I had read about:


1/4 cup organic, dried figs
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/8 teas. cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1 teas. vanilla (optional...I did not use)
1/3 cup nuts

In a food processor place all of the dried fruit and seasonings, pulsing till a paste is formed.
Remove fruit from processor, but do not clean processor.
Put nuts in processor, pulsing till very finely chopped, but stopping short of nut butter!
Add your fruit paste to nuts and pulse a few times to combine.
Roll into balls or shape into bars....your choice.
Wrap in plastic wrap or cover tightly.

Now for the experimentation;
next time I am going to use some of my fermented apricots as the fruit and possibly macadamia nuts.
Or how about dried pineapple with walnuts?
Mini chocolate chips, dates, and cashews?
Cherries, cranberries, pecans?
Really...the possibilities are endless!

Be sure to let me know if you give these a try!

In His grace,
Cindy
Pin It!

7 comments:

Camille said...

I buy Lara bars from Costco where they are less than $1 per bar and only use them for emergencies...so...this intrigues me...I think I will have to give these a try at some point. Thank you for sharing Cindy. :)

Blessings,
Camille

teenagehealthfreak said...

WOW, it's been so long since i've heading over to your blog! i love what you've done with the place. ;) looks great!!! i make these too, saves MONEY..and i always bring them to parties/gatherings/school..and everyone is mezmorized..they love them.. i'm like SEE??? healthy=delish!!! :)

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

We love making these. I think my favorite is dried cranberries, almonds and cocoa powder or dark chocolate chips. kind of chocolate cherry flavor! Yum!

Allison of A Farmgirl's View said...

Oh wow! yum! I have never heard of these...must try though.
Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Have a wonderful week :)
-Allison

Dani said...

wow, yeah, the testing for flouride is so skewed is so many cases. i can't find out if my county uses it but i really hope not. these treats look awesome!

Renata said...

YUM! I've never heard of Lara bars before, but these do sound great - the pineapple/walnut ones sound wonderful!
Hope you are going well & have a great day
Renata:)

Maria said...

Hi Cindy!
Your Lara bars look so yummy! I love fruits and nuts together. I could seriously live just on that {and coffee/teas of course :o)

Cindy, I also saw your homemade laundry soap... I love the idea!
I use Borax all the time. It's great for soaking fragile things, or things that are so stained.
I've also tossed in the soda... the Zote soap I don't remember seeing, but I'm sure my mother and grandmother knew about it!

Looks like I'll be printing this one for the recipe files!
Have a great weekend, Cindy.
~God Bless you always*
~Maria
ps. How's the weather out there? We went from cold and rainy to hot/humid and stormy.