Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Chive Blossom Vinegar & Garlic Knots...Re-visited!


Just a note to let you know I am doing much better these days! 
And since this is chive blossom season I thought I would re-post from last spring.
Enjoy!!!






Our first CSA pick-up 2 weeks ago included a large bunch of chives.
I had just come across a recipe for chive blossom vinegar and was anxious to give it a try...
perfect timing!


Cut chive blossoms off and wash/spin dry in salad spinner.





One pint jar stuffed to the top took all the blossoms I had.
Fill jar with a mild vinegar...
I used a white wine vinegar, but if all you have is the plain, ol' white, then just use that!
Let set in a cool, dark place for a couple of weeks, then strain out the blossoms for a nice, mild oniony flavored vinegar!

Garlic Knots


Another great recipe from Pam, at "For the Love of Cooking"!


I improvised a bit from her recipe, as I do not use a bread machine.
Instead I throw everything in my Kitchen Aid standing mixer and "knead" for about 8 minutes.
The other change I made was I added the minced garlic directly to the dough as it was mixing, for an even greater garlic flavor.
Oh, and of course I upped the garlic....
cause I'm that kind of girl.


These were SO good!
Yeasty, garlicky, basily, and light as a feather.


They are on the menu for tonight with some simple. stuffed shells and of course, a HUGE salad!
Hmmm....perhaps the vinaigrette will be made with the chive blossom vinegar!


How has spring been treating YOU?


In His grace,
Cindy


Pin It!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Those dinner rolls look so yummy! And I've got tons of chive blossoms in the garden to add to some vinegar. Keep well...

Hugs,
Brenda

Thistle Cove Farm said...

the rolls look amazing, can almost taste them!
glad you're feeling better; please continue.

Camille said...

So glad to read that things are looking brighter for you my friend. I think I remember this post from last year...everything looks sooo scrumptious! I had no idea that chives had blossoms...goes to show how much of a *city dweller* I must be! :)

Blessings,
Camille

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Cindy, you've been on my mind the past few days so glad to see a post and the rolls look amazing! I've been having great success with my sourdough ~ I can't thank you enough!

Our spring has been that mixed bag of ups and downs we call life ;D I'm so glad to be able to slip my hand into the Hand of our Heavenly Father and walk along with Him! Hugs to you

KathyB. said...

I am thankful to read you are doing much better.

I just love chives!We add the blossoms to salads but never thought of doing this with them. You find and use the best ideas.