Tuesday, February 21, 2006

SELF PORTRAIT TUESDAY/ BREAD PUDDING

Yup, these are MY mitts, holding on to a steaming dish of bread pudding. I found this recipe in our local paper in October 1975, sent in by a TV news reporter named Buck Matthews. It truly is "comfort food". And for some reason, today I seem to be craving some comfort. yummy!

BUCK MATTHEWS BREAD PUDDING

3 EGGS
1 QT. MILK
1/2 C SUGAR
2 TEAS. VANILLA
4-6 SLICES STALE BREAD (I USED 8 W.W. ROLLS, LEFTOVER FROM SATURDAY)
NUTMEG

BEAT EGGS. ADD MILK, SUGAR, AND VANILLA IN 2 QT. CASSEROLE DISH. MIX THOROUGHLY. ADD BREAD, TORN IN BITE SIZE PIECES, SUBMERGING IT IN MILK MIXTURE. SPRINKLE TOP WITH NUGMEG. BAKE UNCOVERED, 55-60 MIN. AT 400 DEGREES.

I serve this warm or cold (cold is my personal preference), with milk poured over the top. If your waistline allows, use half and half. (mine doesn't)

Pin It!