Monday, July 24, 2006

TABOULEH


Ave and i had lunch a few weeks ago at a 'fast food" kiosk at the mall. Ave got a "Subway", and Cyn being Cyn, I chose the unusual. When Ave was done with her 6", she began "helping' me with my lunch! She couldn't help herself. The noises I was making convinced her she had made the wrong choice! I had the most incredible hummus, and a spicy chicken dish, and tabouleh. Served with sides of pita triangles and a creamy garlic sauce for dipping the chicken in.( which I found out afterwards, had mashed potato as the thickening agent.) We loved it so much, we went back to get extra for our supper that evening. Enter: FOOD NETWORK. I know how to make hummus. Do it almost weekly. But never tabouleh. Came up with the following recipe from the Food Network.

Tabouleh

1 cup bulgur
2 1/2 c water
4 c loosely packed, rough chopped flat leaf parsley
7 Roma tomatoes, diced
3 chopped green onions, with some of the green
1/4 to 1/2 c loose packed, rough chopped mint leaves (less is best)

For the dressing:
1/4 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teas minced garlic
pinch kosher salt
1 Tbl. extra-virgin olive oil

Bring water to boil, pour in bulgur, stir, cover, turn off heat. Leave alone 20-30 min or till most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain off any extra liquid.

Whisk dressing ingr. together in non-reactive bowl.

In large salad bowl toss together tomatoes, parsley, mint and green onions. Add bulgut. Pour dressing over all, tossing to combine.
Endless variations.
chickpeas
chopped cucumber (that is what I add)
boneless, skinless pieces of grilled chicken
VOILA!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have actually tried making Tabuleh before and it was rather coarse or something. I am going to try this! My husband wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, but I can make it for lunch at work.

savvycityfarmer said...

I'm not so sure 'bout me liking that.
I'm a big wuss.