Thursday, June 28, 2012

Too hot for anything but....with recipe update!

 Lettuce


 Tomatoes


Topped with homemade ranch dressing

A simple but satisfying salad for lunch today.
No frills.
Just some romaine, baby arugula, tomatoes, and ranch dressing.
That's it.
No onions.
No cukes.
No radishes.

Cause today...when temps are inching towards the 100 degree mark...
This is all I want.

For my friends on this side of the world, how are you handling the weather?

In Christ alone,
Cindy

Supper could very well be some BLT's...just to continue on the easy peasy too hot for cookin' theme

Since you asked...this is how I threw together my ranch dressing...

1/4 cup homemade mayo
1/4 cup Daisy sour cream
buttermilk to thin (I used about 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, smashed with 1/2 teas. salt till pasty
2 TBL fresh dill, chopped fine (more or less to taste)
finely chopped fresh chives, if you have 'em...or...a bit of the green from a scallion
1/4 teas. dried celery leaves...just cause I saw that in another ranch recipe
a teensy squirt of sriachi hot sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
If I'd had fresh parsley, I would have chopped a Tbl or two of that and added it..I'm all about the green.

I put the whole shebang into a pint mason jar and shook till mixed.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Cooking Up Faith said...

This looks so good! Mind sharing your ranch dressing recipe sometime?? I can't ever get mine right!

Um...the weather is very hard to handle. Our two options are the pool or staying inside!

Dog Trot Farm said...

I'm with you just a simple meal on such a hot day. Thank you for sharing your recipe. The hot, humid weather is returning here tomorrow, I try and cook something before hand, chicken, turkey etc. Lots of fruit and green salads and a trip to camp before the renters come in. Enjoy these summer days, greetings from Maine, Julie.

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Looks great Cindy and thanks for sharing the Ranch dressing recipe. I was wondering what your recipe is for homemade mayo?

Renata said...

Hi Cyn
Well it's cold over here, but your salad pictures are making me long for summer & salad weather. The dressing sounds delicious. I've always wondered what ranch dressing was, so I'll have to take a copy of your recipe & try it. I do have one questions ~ what is sriachi hot sauce??
Hope you are keeping well & enjoying your warmth!
Blessings
Renata:)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Renata....sriachi is a not so wicked hot sauce....you could use Tabasco in it's place...just start with a couple of drops. I find it in the oriental foods section of the grocers, or in with the other hot sauces such as Tabasco.

Donna said...

Looks refreshing! It got up to 101 yesterday. It's supposed to be around 106 or 107 today. If this is June weather, what in the world will it be like in August?!

Unknown said...

Oh, Cyn you make the simplest salads make so classic. You have such style!

As for how I am handling the heat, well we went for a ride last night, and that cooled us off. We don't have AC because I don't like it. It's not summer unless you suffer from the heat a bit...

Thistle Cove Farm said...

simple is good; tonight's salad was spinach, cheese, croutons and pine nuts. it's too hot for much else.
Happy July 4th to you and yours!

susanwalkergirl said...

Dear Cindy,

When I look at your blog it makes me want to cook and start sewing.

That salad looks so yummy!

Today I tried my hand at making the recipe you had on your blog French Citron presse (Lemonade). It's chilling in the refrigerator and I hope to try some now that it's summer and a little warmer.

Thank you so sharing from your heart and kitchen...it's very inspiring.

Karen S Booth said...

BEAUTIFUL photos of a SIMPLE but FABULOUS salad, I LOVE it! Karen

Camille said...

Ooooohhhh....I tried your dressing recipe and I must tell you...YUMMY!!!
Thank you for sharing. :)

Blessings,
Camille